Monday, January 4, 2010

another no title...

So the other day, I was down in the field with my little brother Nick, and we needed to move some cows across the highway. Nick opened the north side gate, and as I was opening the gate on the south I noticed a lone muskrat. Now for those of you who do not know what a muskrat is, they are about the size of a large guinea pig with large protruding teeth that are made for biting. It is equiped with a long whiplike mouse tail.
Now this little bugger was in the middle of the field, and was not supposed to be part of the cowherd, but as things turned out this little thing was right at home. As the cows started toward the gate, crossing the highway in an orderly fashion, the muskrat fell right into place behind an old red cow. He was part of the herd. When all the cows and muskrats had crossed the highway, I proceeded to close the gate when out of the corner of my eye I caught a critter trying to leave the herd, it was my little muskrat friend. I tried to head him back but he beat me to the fence. And a five strand barbwire fence aint gonna stop no muskrat! Back across the road and (so I thought) out of my life forever.
A few days later, while breaking a whole in the ice for the cows to drink, I heard a rustling in the tall grass coming from the river bank. When out lept THE MUSKRAT! Knowing he was looking for open water, I backed away to my truck slowly... once again grabbing my 22 with a bent site and no bullets. Fumbling for shells and cursing the day that the box broke open and bullets spilled all over my floor, the muskrat made his way to the hole, into the water, and swam down stream under the ice.
Somehow I feel that me and the muskrats fate is intertwined. These 2 meetings cannot be by chance. I do not know how I will feel when we meet again. Will I embrace him as a friend or curse him as an enemy?



Me and my lovely wife.

Jail break '09.

Chrsitmas family photos '09

BR: Steph, Dad, Mom, Ash, Me FR: Ronda, Brayker, Jade, Sherydon, Tagg, Nick

5 comments:

  1. What a great family photo. I love it.
    I say, you and the muskrat should be friends...my opionion. YAH for Biggest Loser tonight!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Love Love that picture of you too! You guys are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you guys! What a cute family you have!!!! :) Wade, you are such a good typer! Where did you get those mad skills!? Ash, let's hang out! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Wade...you do make me laugh! I miss you guys so much. Why are we so far apart? When can you come to my house? When can I come to yours? Really! Thanks for the laugh and the peek into your world. Kiss that beautiful wife...tell her hi!

    ReplyDelete